|City of New Sulfuria|
Flag of New Sulfuria
Map of Sulfar - New Sulfuria is represented by the largest brown area (urban areas).
|City Authority||New Sulfuria Council|
|Authority headquarters||City Hall|
|Current Mayor||Laurence Paré|
The city of New Sulfuria is the capital of the Federal Republic of Sulfar. Home to a population of 11,735,429 it is also the largest city of the country. The Greater New Sulfuria Area, according to the lastest census, has more than 13 million citizens.
New Sulfuria, or « Nouvelle Sulfura » at the time, was founded in 1529 by French colonists, after the Indian Wars, in which the settlers were victorious. The town, home to 7,800 colonists, was heavily defended by the militia and stone walls were quickly built to protect the denizens from hostile native remnants. However, the city quickly expanded beyond these limits, and in 1600, over 30,000 citizens lived in Nouvelle Sulfura. The Old Neighbourhoods still exist today, and is a major tourist attraction.
The first major siege on the city happened in 1778, during the First Sulfar-Issaria War. Even though the invading armies were able to conquer the northwest half of the city and were able to set foot on the other shore of the Al-Armaki River, the garrison, greatly outnumbered, successfully fought back and repelled the Issarians. A stalemate occured for several years, until the Treaty of Nouvelle Sulfura in 1785. Nouvelle Sulfura continued to grow exponentially due to the high birth rate at the time. In 1829, the city was renamed New Sulfuria, because of the Reunification of Sulfar.
Since the Sulfarian Science and Technologies Act of 1980, high technologies reshaped the face of the city. All public infrastructure was converted to use renewable energy sources and to be way more efficient. Research and development firms started to pop up, and modern skyscrapers quickly « invaded » downtown and neighbouring areas.