All real world and some NationStates countries have national anthems, whether consisting of music alone or lyrics as well. The anthem or hymn is a musical representation of the country and often includes references to themes or places dear to the hearts of its citizens, such as the Czech Repubic’s “Kde domov můj?” (“Where Is My Home?”); or cherished national symbols, such as the United States' "The Star-Spangled Banner." A national anthem can also signify the nation's loyalty to a reigning monarch, as in the United Kingdom's "God Save the Queen." In NS, the national anthems of Pantocratoria and the Resurgent Dream follow this tradition.
For a variety of reasons, many RL countries have troubles selecting an appropriate tune, appropriate words or both for their national anthems and patriotic songs. Most anthems have been officially adopted, but some -- like "O Canada" -- were adopted much later than their common use. Many countries additionally have national songs or patriotic songs which fulfill many of the functions of national anthems but have lower status if sometimes more recognition. Some countries hedge their bets by have two or more anthems, such as RL New Zealand’s “God Defend New Zealand” (with English and Maori lyrics) and “God Save the Queen.”
Some famous composers have been commissioned to write national anthems, but most often a composer's work is retroactively adopted. The RL European Union uses Ludwig van Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" (also known as "To Joy") as an instrumental without Friederich Schiller’s original words because choosing lyrics would be impossible in a multilingual confederation. The aspirant state of RL Biafra adopted of Jean Sibelius' "Finlandia," under the name “Land of the Rising Sun” (not to be confused with Japan).
Several popular national anthems have had their music adopted by more than one country, most notably “God Save the Queen” (not the Sex Pistols song). It originated in RL Britain, where it has never been formally adopted, but has been used by the RL United States, which rebelled against it, and RL Liechtenstein, which has no obvious connection to the UK at all.
Inappropriate or outdated words have proven to be more problematic for actual and proposed national anthems for a number of reasons. For instance, "Waltzing Matilda" is a very distinctively Australian tune but was discounted in favour of the fairly bland "Advance Australia Fair" because nobody wants a national anthem about a suicidal poacher.
Similarly, most verses of the Weimar-era German national anthem suggest the borders of the German nation which are at odds with current international boundaries. The "Maple Leaf Forever" served for many decades as Canada's de facto national anthem, but its fine tune was rendered inappropriate because of its jingoistic and anglocentric lyrics.
Others take an existing tune and add suitable lyrics, such as white secessionist Rhodesia's adoption of "Ode to Joy" with new lyrics. In the case of the “God Save the Queen (or King)” used outside the Commonwealth of Nations, the music is played with new lyrics to suit the country, as in the popular patriotic hymn "My Country 'Tis of Thee" in the United States. Ariddia, a socialist country, has adopted the tune of the Communist Internationale, but with unique Ariddian lyrics, and Billopesha has similarly given new lyrics to Men of Harlech for its national anthem.
National anthems may be used for a wide variety of purposes. Within the NS world, they are used most prominently at the start of football matches (notably during the World Cup), and during the Olympic Games whenever an athlete wins a gold medal for his or her country.
List of known NS national anthems
- Ariddia, "Dream"
- Arnevia, "Arnevia! Rise and be Heard!"
- Attican Empire, "Attiklïd"
- Augmark,"Augmarken Lied"
- Aundotutunagir, "Let Us Rejoice And Sing As The Foreign Devils Are Roasted Alive"
- Bettia, " Brothers of Bettia"
- Billopesha, "On Billopeshian Ground"
- Canadai, When Canadai Rules The World
- Candelaria And Marquez, "O, Sweet Nation"
- Cravan, "Liberty's Domain"
- Cosumar, "Glorious and Majestic"
- Dalaborn, "The Principal March"
- Daukland, "God Save the Queen" (unofficial)
- Edward City, "Anthem of the Free"
- Equestrian States, "Unite our Herd"
- Ethan Smith, "Hymn of Ethan Smith"
- Eugepae, "Ave Eugepae"
- Exacui, "Simpra em libradee"
- Falastur, "My God, My Land, My King"
- Feniexia, "Shay tha Feniexia
- Free Outer Eugenia, "Big Rock Candy Mountains" (so unofficial, it's not even funny)
- Gevon, "The Defeat of the Caldarians"
- Großdeutsches Reich, "Auferstanden aus Ruinen"
- Iglesian Archipelago, "The Republican Hymn"
- Industrial Islands, "The Corporate March"
- Republic of Homesh, "Song of Ascents"
- Jalanat, "Jalanat endures as one"
- United Federation of Jenlom, "Jenlom from field to mountain"
- Jey, "Iei Iunctii"
- Kahanistan, "Born in the Fire"
- Kalasion, de facto: "We Call it Home", other notable anthems used are "My Pride in Kalasion" and "Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows".
- Kandorith, "Tián de Súrèi" (March of The Sun)
- Kannaris, "Land of the Noble Ones"
- Kedalfax, "From Fields to Shores"
- Kington Langley, "Kington Langley Forever"
- Kofnar, "La Stella sul Vessillo"
- Kulverint, "Kulverint zal de wereld verenigen!
- Libareia, "Fergalicious"
- Malkaigan, "Malsera Ireba"
- Maurepas, "Jolie Blonde"
- Myroria, "Myroria"
- Ness Snorlaxia, "My Motherland, My Pride and Joy"
- Neo-Erusea, "Hymn of Liberty"
- New Caldari, "Orbis Caldari"
- Northeastern Nations, "Glory to the Republic"
- Oceanic Vakiadia, "Hail Vakiadia"
- Omigodtheykilledkenny, "Little Boy, You're Going to @#!*% "
- Pantocratoria, "God Save the Emperor"
- Pasturis, "Pasturis Death Chant"
- Plutoni, "Contrafactus"
- Phing Phong, "Phleng Sansoen Chat Barami"
- Phourvixia, "La Espero"
- PopularFreedom, "For the People!"
- Quintessence of Dust, "I Have Wandered Alone"
- Rejistania, "Rejistaniha'ki'kaletri"
- Saidercray, "Loving You, Our Good Mother Saidercray"
- San Adriano, "Ciò è la nostra casa"
- SchutteGod, " @#!*% You You Ho (I Don't Want You Back)"
- Seven Castles, "Sete Castelos de Todos Nós"
- Sober Thought, "4′33”"
- Sondstead, "Üre Land Godrin"
- Spain, "Himno de la República"
- Starblaydia, "Starblaydia Triumphant"
- Straschkau, "Straschkau, Straschkau nur Du allein"
- Suidwes-Afrika, "Das Südwesterlied"
- Swilatia, "Republika"
- The Phoenix Milita, "The Ballad of the Militant"
- The Republic of Lanos, "National Anthem of the Republic of Lanos"
- The Resurgent Dream", "Long Reign the Queen"
- United Island Empires, "Jerusalem"
- Verdeguay, "¡Independencia o Muerte!"
- Vladslepland, "Vlad Is Great!"
- White-Rose, "Love is a Number"
- Xanthal, "Zănŧäl Mĭfäl"
- Zaire, "La Zaïroise"
- Zarquon Froods, "Pop Goes the Weasel"
- Zimbezia, "Mungu Atetee Zimbezia"
- Zwangzug, "Anthem"