| Kingsville Metro System|
Sistemo Metró di Vilòstresa
|Locale||Kingsville, Brutland and Norden|
|Transit Type||Rapid transit|
|Number of Stations
Number of Lines
15,885,000 passengers/day (2008)
C.R. per Movomodo di Vilòstresa
C.R. per Movomodo di Vilòstresa
|Number of Vehicles
The Kingsville Metro System (Nord-Brutlandese: Sistemo Metrò di Vilòstresa) is the large metro system serving the city of Kingsville, the capital of the United Kingdom of Brutland and Norden. Within city limits, it is entirely underground, and its complexity and remarkable development had earned it the title of “Underground City”. It is connected to the transportation network of Union Island.
The first rail lines in Union Island were built in the Kingsville area in 1834. A north-south aboveground railway line from Alessandria to Piscinellese was built in order to promote north-south movement of goods and people. It as part of architect Malcolm MacKenzie’s plan to decongest the area of the capital. In 1837, another railway line was built, this time from east to west, from Tercellese to Sant’Uldarico. Sant’Uldarico became the terminus of the railway line as the rail could not be constructed (using the resources and methods available at the time) across the treacherous eastern slopes of the mountains range to Kingsville proper. The Alessandria-Piscinellese railroad also passes by the Sant’Uldarico Railway Station.
Kingsville’s railroad system served the area well until the 20th century, when population increased some more and roads, even the wide Brutland Avenue, became congested. There were several proposals to ease inner-city traffic, which are not served by the outer aboveground rail, however, many did not come to fruition, primarily due to the political fragmentation of the Kingsville metropolitan area.
Extending the streetcar system was proposed as a solution by Benedetto Mastallone, mayor of the suburb of Mastallone, in 1934. It managed to gain currency with the other town councils of metropolitan Kingsville. However, there was strong opposition to it by the mayors and town councils of Cazzada Nuova, Tarrantasca, Providenza, Ponteranica, and Kingsville itself. They argued, especially the very congested towns of Cazzada Nuova and Kingsville, that the additional tramways would take up more space and would entail building aboveground stations for which they have no space. The Grant Council of Union Island and the Nord-Brutlandese Parliament refused to consider the idea unless the differences between communities were resolved.
Mayor Claudio Marinaro of the suburb of Santa Bruna al Mare sought a solution to the ‘cramped space’ opposition presented by Kingsville: Why not build the streetcar underground? There were already many subway systems in place around the world by 1935. Although many of the mayors, even that of Kingsville and Cazzada Nuova, agreed with the proposal, some of the mayors balked at its cost. However, their opposition was mooted when Prime Minister Carlo Franco Bacco said that the federal government would be willing to shoulder part of the costs involved in the construction of the subway. In addition, Riccardo Mazzuco, the grant president of Union Island, said that the grant would contribute if the proposed lines would be extended to other communities.
Plans were put forward, but again, none were implemented as the communities jockeyed to be the first to have the proposed line within their boundaries. Partly because of this and other concerns arising out of the political fragmentation of the Kingsville Metropolitan Area, the Nord-Brutlandese General Court passed a law in 1940 providing for the amalgamation of Kingsville and its suburbs into one unified city, pending a referendum.
Building the Subway
The unified city, in cooperation with the Ministry of Transportation, soon put forth plans for the subway. The first plan was to decongest the main thoroughfares, Brutland Avenue and Norden Avenue. Construction of the Blue Line, located underneath Brutland Avenue, began in 1943 and finished in 1945. The cost was shouldered by the city government and the federal government. The Gray Line, underneath Norden Avenue, was built between 1945 and 1946, and extended up to Casteletto with the aid of the Grant Government of Union Island.
In 1957, the Gray Line was extended to Tercellese with the building of the capital’s airport in that city. A third line, the Red Line, was built in 1969 in order to provide for easy transportation on Kingsville’s seaside communes and the Santa Carolina River valley. Upon request and assistance of the grant government, the line was extended to Castelspina, which, until that time, had no connection to the capital.
Problems in the aboveground rail prompted officials to consider replacing the aging aboveground rail with an underground route. Thus, in 1982, the Yellow Line was built, from the hamlet of San Bernardo to Santa Bruna al Mare. It followed the old railroad from San Bernardo to L’Iorgàcqua, after which it extended further eastward then southward.
Congestion in both the Red and Blue Lines, coupled with the lack of urban transportation services in the districts of San Lamberto, San Canico, and parts of Providenza, necessitated the construction of the Green Line in 1992. At the same time, the Yellow Line was extended to the districts of Sant’Garzana, San Lamberto, and the Vanadium Valley, and ultimately connected to the Port of Kingsville. This extension became the Purple Line.
Along the construction of Alessandria Tunnel to serve the new King Kyle I International Airport in the neighboring island of Tonzivibbia, the Blue Line was extended into the tunnel also. This was done in order to have the subway line serve the airport also, instead of the more cumbersome and slower interisland ferry system. Construction finished in 2000, and at the same time, the two circuits were also added: the Orange Line to serve the city center, and the Pink Line to serve northern Kingsville. Construction was finished in 2006, and at the same time, the Blue Line was connected to Sant’Albano al Mare and the grant of Tonzivibbia constructed its own line to connect to the Kingsville system.
The Kingsville Metro has 165 stations within city limits. In addition, it administers two (Aeròporto and Dorzano) located outside city limits and coadministers another one (San Leonardo) with the Companne Reala per Movomodo di Tonzivibbia.
Metro stations are usually named after the streets or squares above (7 di Settembre, Rinno Kail la Malenetto, Padania), the buildings above (Settro Convegno, Museo Reala, Municipio), the district or neighbourhood it serves (Tarrantasca, Cito Nuova, Cedrasco), or some physical features, flora, or fauna (Salito, Maròquianda, Ancio). There are some weird and unique station names, such as Ternato Secruta (“Suicide Ridge”), Vacòbona (“Good Cow”), and Bratto Raposo (“Wolf-Boy”).
Design and Layout
Almost all of the non-interchange and non-terminal stations now have the “Spanish solution” type of station. Passengers get on the train from the side platforms and get off on the island platform. Exceptions include some of the stations where the narrow subway tunnel precludes this design, such as the Ternato Secruta Station.
Some interchange stations, such as the Rinno Kail la Malenetto and the San Briano Station, are two-level stations, connected by escalators and elevators. For example, the Rinno Kail la Malenetto station of the deep-bore Orange Line lies one level below the similarly-named station of the shallow-bore Blue Line. This is possible only in interchanges wherein the two lines lie on a different level underground.
Interchanges of two lines lying on the same level (ex. Palazzo Reala Station, on the shallow-bore Blue and Gray Lines; and Colonella-TRNM Station, on the deep-bore Green and Yellow Lines) are large underground stations with two separate platforms for each station, connected by corridors and aisles. The largest and grandest station is the Palazzo Reala Station, which is built and carved into the side of Royal Hill.
Most of the Metro stations feature establishments, restaurants, and shops. The Providenza Station earned the moniker la Stazione Comperettuque (“the Shopper’s Station”) due to the many establishments in it. Many are also lavishly decorated, sometimes resembling museums. The Artu Moderna (“Modern Art”) Station is a free ‘canvas’ station: its walls are covered with graffiti and artwork made by the passengers, cleared once a month for new ones to be painted on.
There is a great disparity between stations in terms of ridership. Colegio Station is the most congested station, handling almost 200,000 passengers per day, almost 100% of its capacity. However, on game days, Stresùdoza Station, one of the stations serving the Strodomo d’Alessandria (Alessandria Astrodome), sometimes exceed 300,000 passengers per day – 150% of its capacity. In contrast, the Ternato Secruta Station handles as low as 500 passengers per day.
Lines of the Kingsville Metro are named after the color which was originally used to represent them in official maps.
Depth: 7m below street level
Northern Terminus: Nave Station, Sant’Albano al Mare
Southern Terminus: Aeròporto Station, Dorzano
|Length: 129 km|
Number of Stations: 41 (city proper) + 2 (administered) + 32 (Union Island)
Started Operations: September 07, 1945
The Blue Line was the first line in the Kingsville Metro, though it had undergone modernizing upgrades.
In Kingsville, the Blue Line passes through the districts of Alessandria, Pisciettu, La Banchine, L’Iorgàcqua, Tarrantasca, Providenza, Settra, Cumunoíe, Costale, Ascene d’Elie, and Santo Thorizio. It also serves commuters going to the King Kyle I International Airport, the Strodomo d’Alessandria, Royal Botanic Gardens, the Pink Palace, the Royal Palace, the General Court, the Kingsville Stock Exchange, the Kingsville Convention Center, the Kingsville Naval Base, and the Kingsville City Fairgrounds.
Depth: 7m below street level
Northern Terminus: Juttisse Station, Kingsville
Southern Terminus: Domestica Station, Tercellese
|Length: 65 km|
Number of Stations: 7 (city proper) + 30(Union Island)
Started Operations: September 07, 1946
The Gray Line as the second line in the Kingsville Metro. Following the path of Norden Avenue, it connects Tercellese, where the capital’s domestic airport is located, to the capital.
In Kingsville, the Gray Line passes through the districts of La Pascu, Valbuona, and Settra. It also serves commuters going to the Royal Institute of Advanced Research, the Cancello di la Sole, the Royal Palace, and the Royal Supreme Court of Brutland and Norden.
Depth: 9m below street level
Northern Terminus: Castelspina Station, Castelspina
Southern Terminus: Colegio Station, Kingsville
|Length: 99 km|
Number of Stations: 39 (city proper) + 18 (Union Island)
Started Operations: March 16, 1969
The Red Line serves the coastal region of Kingsville. At the district of Santa Carolina, it turns westward to serve the right bank of the Santa Carolina Valley and crosses the river via a low bridge. It then serves the hillsides of northern Kingsville and exits the city limit at the Two Hills Pass (Passo Dozòllino).
In Kingsville, the Red Line passes through the districts of Alessandria, Pisciettu, Citògrabba, La Banchine, Cito Nuova, Cito Tanda, Settra, Santa Carolina, Cumunoíe, Valbuona, Gianicolina, and Santo Thorizio. It also serves commuters going to the “University Belt”, the Tower of Kingsville, the Old Lighthouse, the Royal Museum of Modern Art, the Kingsville Marina, the Saint Regina’s Cathedral, the Royal Supreme Court of Brutland and Norden, the Strando, the House of Lords, the Multiversal Studios, the Kingsvlle Zoo, and the Kingsville City Fairgrounds.
Depth: 25m below street level
Northern Terminus: San Bernardo Station, Kingsville
Southern Terminus: Santa Bruna Station, Kingsville
|Length: 46 km|
Number of Stations: 27 (city proper)
Started Operations: April 10, 1982
The Yellow Line serves the coastal region and the mountainous areas of Kingsville. It starts at the hamlet of San Bernardo, overlooking the Santa Carolina River Gorge (impassable by any bridge or subway), serving the district of La Pascu, and then suddenly makes a 90-degree turn eastward towards the sea. It then closely follows the coastline up to Santa Bruna al Mare.
It passes through the districts of Campòllina, La Pascu, L’Iorgàcqua, Pisciettu, and Alessandria. It also serves commuters going to the Pisciettu Beach, Kingsville Beacon (Lighthouse), the Kingsville Tower, Kingsville Air Force Station, the Space Museum, Kingsville Army Base, and La Castione.
Depth: 18m below street level
Northern Terminus: Piscino Station, Piscinellese
Southern Terminus: L’Ozere Station, Kingsville
|Length: 90 km|
Number of Stations: 33 (city proper) + 15 (Union Island)
Started Operations: September 07, 1994
The Green Line serves the foothills of the central mountains. It runs a straight north-south course, connecting Piscinellese with Alessandria.
It passes through the districts of Alessandria, San Lamberto, L’Iorgàcqua, Tarrantasca, Providenza, Cumunoíe, San Canico, and Santo Thorizio. It also serves commuters going to the Strodomo d’Alessandria, the TRNM TV station, Royal Museum, the Garden of Love, and the Kingsville City Hall.
Depth: 22m below street level
Northern Terminus: La Banchine Station, Kingsville
Southern Terminus: Santa Bruna Station, Kingsville
|Length: 39 km|
Number of Stations: 26 (city proper)
Started Operations: October 22, 1995
The Purple Line serves the southern part of the hilly region of Kingsville and also functions as a connecting line for the four north-south lines in southern Kingsville.
It passes through the districts of La Banchine, L’Iorgàcqua, La Pascu, San Lamberto, Sant’Garzana, and Alessadria. It serves commuters going to the “University Belt”, the Boardwalk, Queen’s Park, the Embassy District, the Moon Canyon Park, the Hanging Hamlet, Vanadium Valley, Kingsville Cemetery, Kingsville Air Force Station, and the Port of Kingsville.
Depth: 14m below street level
Northern Terminus: San Lazzaro Station, Kingsville
Southern Terminus: Monterone Station, Kingsville
|Length: 11 km|
Number of Stations: 9 (city proper)
Started Operations: May 20, 2004
The Pink line as built to create connections between the north-south lines of northern Kingsville. It also connects the more isolated mountain community of Monterone to the rest of the capital.
It passes through the districts of Gianicolina and San Canico.
Depth: 16m below street level
Northern Terminus: Strando Station, Kingsvillee
Southern Terminus: Santa Regina Station, Kingsville
|Length: 21 km|
Number of Stations: 15 ( city proper)
Started Operations: July 21, 2005
The Orange Line was built in order to connect the business districts of Providenza, the upscale area of Valbuona, and the government offices in Settra. It is also built to ease the congestion of roads in the area during the rush hours.
It passes through the districts of Cito Tanda, Providenza, Universitade, Valbuona, Cumunoíe, and Settra. It serves commuters goung to the Providenza central business district, Santa Regina’s Cathedral, Kingsville Stock Exchange, Royal University of Brutland and Norden – Kingsville, the Two Towers, General Court, Royal Children’s Hospital, and the Strando.
Since 2003, trains of the Kingsville Metro had been standardized to the 4 ft 8½ in gauge (standard international gauge), like most of Brutland and Norden’s railway system. Thus, the Metro’s trains can run on aboveground tracks, such as those on the Green Line Extension, from Piscinellese to Castelspina, and on the Gray Line South Branch, from Casteletto to Castagnole.
All of the trains are made by the Companne Brutelliense di Rallo (Brute Rail Company). Most of the rolling stock is of the CBR2000 model. Each train of the CBR2000 had four coaches, with each coach able to carry up to 250 passengers.
Fares in the Kingsville Metro are not subsidized by the government, unlike in the Nordville Metro. However, using the subway is still cheap and affordable. The average cost is ₤0.08 per passenger kilometre.
The cost of a ride is based on the matrices posted in each station; the longer the journey, the more costly it is. Tickets can be single-journey tickets, and stored-value cards. Aside from the usual tellers, there are vending machines where passengers can buy the tickets. Stored-value cards have denominations of ₤10, ₤20, ₤50, and ₤100, and valid up to one year.
The Kingsville Metro is operated by the Companne Reala per Movomodo di Vilòstresa (CRMV; Royal Company for Kingsville Transportation), a joint public-private company, which is a subsidiary of a much larger public-private consortium, la Consortio Movomoda (lCMm; the Transportation Consortium), which also operates the subway and transportation systems of Union Island, Santelleria, Tonzvibbia, and Denville. The government interests make up 50% of the shareholders of CRMV: the city of Kingsville, 20%, the grant government of Union Island, 20%, and the federal government, 10%.