History of Rethan
From NSwiki, the NationStates encyclopedia.
The history of Rethan is one of deceit and warfare. The nation itself is fairly young, but through stubborn resolve and anger has advanced quickly to become a massive military power.
Part 1: The Secession
- 2013: The Ataster Union, having thus far survived as a union of several independent countries begins to reforge itself as an Empire for better stability. As the merging begins begins, a unified defensive force is founded called the AIM – Ataster Imperial Military – with the intent of defending the peaceful empire from outside threats.
- 2015: With the unification complete, the independent countries become states, ruled by an Imperial Council. Each country is giving a number of seats on the council relative to their population. The former Kingdom of Helan is angered by this decision, being given only one seat of thirty.
- 2030: After fifteen years of economic prosperity, the Helani attempt to force the Council to give them more say in the Empire, with the vast majority of the Imperial decisions going against the wishes of the Kingdom.
- 2031: The Helani overthrow their leader and install general Altair Lentar as the Autarch. Lentar's first move is to withdraw from the Empire. The Ataster member states vote to forcibly remove Lentar and invade. Altair is forced into hiding and the AIM quickly takes control of the country.
- 2037: After six years, Altair Lentar leads a mass rebellion within Helan. His rebellion is succesful in forcing the majority of the AIM from his nations borders.
- 2038: The Empire invades again. In the middle of the invasion, Altair's son Lukas comes to power, and reverses his father's decisions. Helan is welcomed back into the Empire, but strict trade punishments and military patrols keep the populace loyal to the Empire.
Part 2: The Exodus
- 2050: With resources dwindling on their world, the Empire decides to expand out into the galaxy. The AIM and Imperial Council fund individual excursions for each of the member states. Within three years the fleets are ready and ten years later the entire solar system is colonised.
- 2064: Plans are made to expand out into the further galaxy. Massive colony ships move out with the intent of expanding the Empire. Within the next 20 years, four more planets are colonised and the colonies stabilised, bringing the total number of Ataster colonies to eight.
- 2084: A fleet of four colony ships funded and manned by the ex-Heleni and their new leader Vastari Lentar leave the Ataster colony Ridgeback. However, communications are lost soon after their departure and the entire excursion is assumed lost. Memorials are held for the lost on the other colonies. However, the communications blackout was instigated by the Heleni on board the ships intentionally. After 50 years of planning, the Heleni seek out independence from the Empire once and for all.
Part 3: The Rethast are born
- 2086: With resources running low and no suitable planets discovered, the Heleni colonists finally settly on a planet. However, living conditions are far from ideal. The planet is named Rethan after Vastari's son, Retha Lentar. It is a planet of extremes, with the night time temperatures easily reaching far below zero, and the daytime just above zero. Cruel arctic storms plague the northern hemisphere and the southern is ravaged by constant thunderstorms and high winds. There is very little water on the planet and the air is rich in a toxic gas called Oxybrine. Masks are worn at all times and the colonists must frequently receive inhibitor treatments to fight the caustic and radioactive nature of Oxybrine.
- 2120: After years of struggling, the Heleni have learned to adapt to their harsh environment. The second generation of children born on Rethan have begun to show mutations caused by the radioactive gas Oxybrine. Their eyes are clouded and apparently blind and their lungs seem to have hardened to the gas. Their hair has been bleached of all colour and become tougher, more like dry straw.
- 2132: The harsh conditions of the planet combined with genetic manipulation and advanced medicine, the entire population of Rethan has been altered. The Lentar line having long died out, the new Premier Dytalus Nihil announces that they are no longer human, and christens the new race the Rethast. A massive military build up begins and plans are made to seek out the Ataster empire and exact revenge for the oppression inflicted on the Rethast in the past.