This article deals with French as it relates to NationStates. For more general information, see the Wikipedia article on this subject.
IRL, French (français, langue française) is one of the most important Romance languages, outnumbered in speakers only by Spanish and Portuguese. In NS it is not only spoken by nations whose player is French or Frenchspeaking, but also by nations with a roleplayed historical link to France or nations seeking to capture the mood of some era of French history, be it absolutist, Napoleonic, or republican.
When it comes to language choice in the worlds of NationStates, the language one nation chooses could very well be an epitome of their culture and/or government. It could be argued that players attempting to portray Fascist and Imperial nations tend to prefer the German language as the principal national language, and Russian is similarly used by Communist nations. Following this train of thought, French could be seen as the language of more 'refined' and diplomatically inclined nations.
Notes on French-speaking nations
- Aerion has three official languages, French is the second official language and is primarily used only by the upper classes. New Aerion is the most common spoken language, and Old Aerion is the native language that has fell into disuse.
- In Ainin, French is one of the two official languages, along with English. Around 41% of the population speak French as their first language while 91% of Aininians know French.
- French is a second language of many Alitarian citizens.
- Ariddia recognizes French as one of its three official languages, along with Wymgani and English. French and English were the languages of the original colonisers and first settlers, while Wymgani is the language of Indigenous Ariddians.
- Antrium recognizes French as one of three official languages, along with English and a local language called Alvésin. French is the second most widely spoken, and all schools have made French classes mandatory.
- In Azulcena, French is spoken as a mother tongue by some of the French-descended population, largely within the March of Vendôme.
- Baranxtu recognizes French as one of its six official language. It is spoken by about 5 per cent of the population, most of which are of Jontadain ancestry.
- In Bejerot, French is recognized jointly with English as the national language. The grammar and usage of both languages is moderated by the National Academy.
- Boshka recognizes French as one of three official languages, along with English and a local language Russian. French is the Third most widely spoken, and all schools have made French classes a choice.
- French is one of the spoken language in the region of the Bodycoded Islands, which hosts 5 nations:
- Cikoutimi recognizes French as one of its three official languages, along with Chicoutim, a French-based creole, and Baranxeï.
- In Clandon, French was used due to the growing Frenchpeople in Medieval Clandon or that time Quaristo. King Clandon's grandmother was a Frenchwoman from Lyon, France. French is one of the two official languages along with English.
- French was selected as one of the five required languages in Ceorana when the government made it mandatory for citizens to be required to be fluent in five languages.
- Although the founders of The Armed Republic of Costa Bravo were largely Spaniards, the nation now considers French, Russian, English as its official languages. Less than 10 percent of Costa Bravo's populace considers Spanish their native language, whereas over 30 percent consider French as such.
- Although the founders of The Republic of Costa leon were largely Spaniards and Englishmen, the nation recognizes French as one of the most spoken languages in the nation. 15 percent of Costa León's populace speak French as their native language. It would be an official language if it were 20 percent of the population´s native tongue.
- The Nation of Eagmont uses French or Russian as a secondary teaching resource from age 10. Children in Eagmonts private schools are expected to know both reasonably well, while members of state owned schools dabble with the idea of bilingualism.
- The Holy Empire of Edvardus does not recognize French as the official language. However, there are a handful of native French speakers in the empire.
- Ethan Smith doesn't have an official language, although French is understood by most citizens.
- Franco-Philia is a completely francophone nation and French is the only language allowed for government use. All citizens must be able to read and write French with a high fluency and naturalization is impossible for non-francophones. There are small linguistic minorities, the two largest being Portuguese and English speakers, but they only use these languages in private.
- The Republic of Horsethief butte recognizes French as an official language, it also recognizes Michif a language descending from Cree and French spoken by Horsethief butte's Métis population. Currently Horsethief butte is the only nation to recognize Michif as an official language.
- In the Iglesian Archipelago, French is widely spoken. However, it is not the official language (although some people defended French to be the second official language).
- French is the third official language of Kristonion, alongside English and Spanish. French is mostly spoken in the northeastern regions of the nation.
- French has a special status as official second language of the city of Monthuez, Krytenia, due to the large Eauzian minority living there.
- All of the white inhabitants of Le Congo Leopold speak French, and some speak Dutch as well, because the nation has its origins in the Belgian Congo.
- French is one of the three official languages of Little India, together with English and Latin. Whereas most people in the High Kingdom speak all three languages in varying degrees of fluency, the Kingdom of Veruna speaks Verunaian, a language that is official only there. In Eleni, French only is spoken. In Little India as a whole, Latin is used only for official purposes, although some minority groups in Tulpas use Latin as their everyday language, speaking little or no English or French. The Sovereigns of Little India are traditionally proclaimed in French, and all their titles are written thus. All Congress-related matters are dealt with in English.
- French was made an official language of Liverpool England with the passing of the Minority Languages Bill of 2010 in the Liverpool England Parliament. It is one of three Official Languages of the nation.
- French is hardly spoken in Lurikastan outside of The Northern Badlands.
- Maanenland does not recognize French as an official language due it's low prevalence , however it is a major minority language in the inner cities where up to 70% of some inhabitants speak French exclusively.
- French is one of two official languages of Nakuju, a state in the Xanthalian Federation. Nakuju does not adhere to the rulings of the Académie française or other outside institutions preserving the language's integrity, so its dialect has become quite distinct over the centuries.
- French is recognised as one of the two recognised languages in Namor. The districts of Arra and Thalassa are all considered francophone districts. Most Namorese Francophones speak a local variation of French.
- French Is recognized for historic reasons by which the French Emperor nominated Maximillion to the New Imperial Mexico throne in 1864 and later became Maximilian I.
- At Northern Sunrise Islands, French was elevated as a primary official language at 1972. The First First-Lady, Madame Elise (néé DuBaux) Byrd started a Francóphone University at Arrendine in 1972 due to such change.
- French is the official language in Ocasus and is the result of deep colonial ties to France. The language is very prevalent throughout the region of Arbor, with English and Latin being slightly more influencial in the other states of Ocasus, along with Coquian and Agerian.
- French is a official language in Okanama City and is considered to be the most important language in all of its southern districts and in the districts of La Petit-Monmarterre and Rouen Vieux.
- French is an official language in Nation of Quebec along with English. Additionally, French is the official language for Nation of Quebec's former territories Velkia and the Islands, Uchila Eru, and the Y-Series Space Stations. Approximately 50% of Quebec citizens list French as their first language.
- French has over 100,000 speakers in Quintessence of Dust. Most of these are concentrated in the Quintessential Colonies; North Island has adopted French as an official language. Most Quodites speaking French use a unique Creole.
- French is the only unofficial language in The Royal Federated States of Filigrin. About 30% of people in Filigrin speak it, and half of the people are of french descent.
- In Seraph and Visory, French is one of the two national languages.
- In Slembana, French is not an official language, but it is recognized by the Slembanan government.
- In Stellaris French is spoken in the Southern Desert regions and is recognized as an official language.
- French is widely spoken in Swilatia, bu it is not an official language.
- French is a major language in the Resurgent Dream and is an official language of the Province of Arcadia.
- In Vassfforcia French is spoken by the Hugenots of Plenfia and Hilvenídica). However, it is also widely taught at schools as it is more widely uderstood outside the country than Hyarmendorean, Catalan and Occitan. (see Languages of Vassfforcia)
- In Vermont, French is a second national language, with an estimated 12,000 speakers.
- French is the sole official language of Vertieres. It is the first language of almost 100% of the population.
- French is second official language of Vinovia. 31% of Vinovians are native speakers of french, and 10 of 30 provinces have francophone majority. Almost all vinovians can at least passively understand french.
- Yn Sleih Manninagh uses French for diplomatic relations with French speaking countries, due to the fact that its own language is rarely known off the island.
- French is the official language of the Republic of Zaire, though less than half of the population speaks it.
Pidgin languages derived from French
- Lank Jan (langue des gens) is a pidgin language, derived from French, spoken in parts of the Ariddian island of Se'asho.