Freethinker Royal Armed Forces
The military of the Freethinker Commonwealth is the Freethinker Royal Armed Forces, established in 1885 at the outset of Freethinker independence. Because the country is considered multitech, its armed forces have to undertake a wider variety of roles than most other nations, and as such tend to rely on smaller numbers of elite units rather than larger, more general-purpose formations.
The combat history of the Commonwealth is notably insular, fighting two large defensive wars against Midlonia, which still dictate much of Freestian defence strategy. The FRAF has also been involved in various civil conflicts and in putting down domestic insurrections. Its foreign involvement has been limited, and is generallly undertaken as part of a coalition.
Freethinker infantry regiments, comprised of the fearsome Ghouls and trained in the equally uncompromising Freestian Outback, carry a notable reputation internationally as some of the most capable, if brutal soldiers avaliable.
The FRAF has five principal branches, though the byzantine layers of organisation and force loyalties tend to prevent any real alignment fully being bought into place, the Army Command, which generally controls all land forces, the Air Force Command, which controls all assets which defend and project airpower including most static missile and AA defences, the Naval Command, which controls all maritime activity, Space Command with a mandate for exoatmospheric operations and the Intelligence Group which has overview of all internal and external intelligence assets.
The Freethinker Royal Armed Forces are generally considered to be a volunteer force at its combat edge, although many minor non-combat roles in some of the services are taken up by citizens completing their National Service. High fitness requirements mean almost all of the frontline infantry and marine units are ghouls rather than humans, though in the Armed Forces as a whole there is a human plurality.
- Ground Forces (Freethinker Royal Army, Freethinker Ground Defence Force, Royal Militia Corp, Freethinker Territorial Army)
- Navy (Freethinker Royal Navy, Freethinker Royal Marines, Freethinker Coastguard, Royal Riverine & Island Militia)
- Air Force (Freethinker Royal Air Force, Freethinker Air Defence Militia)
- Space Command (Freethinker Royal Celestial Navy, Freethinker Royal Space Marines, Freethinker Orbital Defence System)
- Intelligence Agencies (Commonwealth National Intelligence Organisation)
- Age for Service: Humans: 16 years+, Ghouls: 16 Years+
- Active Military Personnel: ~83,000,000 (male and female, human/ghoul)
- Available Military Personnel: ~8,200,000,000 (male and female, human/ghoul; able-bodied and of military age)
- Military Trained Manpower: ~7,800,000,000(male and female, human/ghoul; compulsory National Service in military setting)
See Also: History of The Freethinkers
- Freethinker Royal Army
- Freethinker Ground Defence Force
- Freethinker Territorial Army
- Royal Militia Corp
Other (Non-Government) Military Forces
There are a number of other military-level forces within the Commonwealth which aren't technically under the auspices of the Ministry of Defence. These are listed below for completion of the general Freethinker military capability.
Non-FRAF Government Military/Paramilitary Forces
- Outback Rangers - Ministry of the Interior Standing Reserve, provide Paramilitary/Militia support in unincorporated areas.
- Commonwealth Mounted Patrol Force - Ministry of the Interior Paramilitary Police Force which serves unincorporated areas of the Freestian Outback. Differ from the Outback Rangers in that these are considered (and sworn into office as) Law Enforcement personnel.
- Fargoni Gendarmiere - Fargoni Provincial Government Paramilitary Police Force.
- National Parks Service Tactical Group - Ministry of the Interior Parks & Wildlife Department specialised response group. Principally deal with native flora and poachers rather than military threats, but due to nature of this role are by necessity a well armed and well trained group.