|Flag of 12 Carthages|
|Motto: "Malum nostra salus est"|
|Official Language(s)||Punic Latin (55%), Punic Phoenician (32%), Greek (11%), Other (2%)|
|Leader||College of 3 Consuls|
|NS NSTracker Sunset XML|
The Federation of 12 Carthages is a nation located in the region of Wysteria, in the south-eastern continent of Polarverta. It's early history go back to the 8 century AD, when Roman refugees from the Wikipedia:Exarchate of Carthage, fleeing the Arab conquest, settle in the central parts of Polarverta.In the early 20cty, they fell under Tseutse occupation, until 1975, when the mass extinction of the Avian race, caused by the Doom Flu pandemic, liberated the 12 Carthages. Until january 2007, the Tseutse colony of Freiheitreich, has been administrated by the 12 Carthages, under the name of Carthago XIII.
The homeland of the Carthaginians was the City ofWikipedia: Carthage (Carthago), in the Roman Province of Africa. The city was founded by Roman Colonists during Caius Julius Caesar, on the ruins of the Punic City of Wikipedia:Qart Hadasht, (who was founded by the mythical Phoenician Queen Wikipedia:Dido of Tyrus). The City was a flourishing economical, cultural and political center in the Roman World. It was the capital of the province of wikipedia:Proconsular Africa, and latter the metropolis of the African diocese. During the 5th and the 6th century was the capital city of the Germanic wikipedia:Vandals’ Kingdom. In 455, the Vandals plundered Rome when they took with them the Jewish relic of the Wikipedia:Menorah. In 534, emperor Wikipedia:Justinian conquers and destroys the Vandal Kingdom, and Carthage becomes the head of the Wikipedia:Exarchate of Africa, having thus a large autonomy. In 648, the Arabs , lead by Abd-Allah-ibn-Said, make a first attempt to invade Africa. Then it is said that the people of Carthage, unprepared to face the invasion, made huge efforts to drive the invaders out, by bribing them with 300 quintiles of solid gold. When wikipedia:Byzantium, claimed the same amount of gold too, The Exarchate of Carthage responded by closing its ties with the Empire and proclaiming its independence from Byzantium. The wikipedia:Byzantine Empire at those time,was too weak to organize a strike back. Unfortunately the Carthaginians couldn’t enjoy their independence for too long, as the Arabs organized new invasion plans. City by city, fell under the Muslim conquest. Finnaly, wikipedia:Carthage remained the single bastion left to conguer. In those desperate days, it is said, that a Palestinian monk arrived, named Mardonius. He carried with him, the relics of Saint wikipedia:Pelagius (died in 520) and spread the word of Pelagian teachings. When the city was sieged again , after numerous attempts, in 696, Mardonius had a vision of a New Promised Land, for the Carthaginese. Then a miracle occurred: from the sea 240 huge triremes arose from the sea in front of the harbour. Each had a capacity to transport 500 people, while the total population of the city was 120 000 people. Then he went in front of the city gates, and managed to convince the Arabs lead by Hassan-ibn-Numan to let all the people and their belongings to leave the city by sea.That was the beginning of the Exodus in 697. Soon the fleet left the Mediteranean Sea through the Gibraltar, never to be heard again. The Exodus lasted for two years, but Mardonius, knew exactly where to lead the people. He guided himself by looking at the stars, and this is why in the moment when the fleet finally reached its destination, the people, after organizing themselves in 12 tribes, each took the name after one of the 12 Astrological Constellations.
When they reached the shores of Polarverta in Wysteria, they settled on the point where today lies the City of Carthago Piscensis. Here Mardonius, already in the position of leader of the people, organized them in 12 tribes of 10 000 people, and ordered them for each to establish its own city. Carthago Capricornensis was chosen as the Capital City for the Federation, as the sign of Capricorn, after the city is named, is the sign of The Saviour Jesus Christ. The City of Carthago Piscensis was chosen to be the Holy City of the Federation, as it was the first City founded. Here lie the relics of Saint Pelagius, of Mardonius, and also the holy relic of the Menorah, which after its taking from Rome by the Vandals, was stolen back by the Jews of Carthage and protected through time, until its placement in the Synagogue of Piscenses. Mardonius Soter ( as he became to the People) drafted the first Constitution of the new state, by inspiring himself from the old institutions of the Republic of Rome. Coexistence with the Polarvertan natives, the Avians, was initially peaceful, until the fall of the DoomGull Clan, when the first animosities broke up. In 1335, the 12 Carthages were forced to accept a tributary-vassalage status toward the Avians, which lasted until 1639, when the Carthaginian-Avian War erupted (1639-1756). The Peace of Mileve (21 of September 1756) declared the independence of the 12 Carthages. In 1903, the superior forces of the Tseutse Avian Empire, occupied the 12 Carthages, which were transformed into a Protectorate, with limited autonomy. In time this occupation harshened for the Carthaginian, and led to numerous atrocities which the Avians committed against the Carthaginians. In 1975, a genetically designed virus, caused the Doom Flu, which annihilated in only 3 months the entire Avian population, ending the occupation over the 12 Carthages. Although independent, the period between 1975-1985 was darkened by the Collaboration cleansing, when all the people that collaborated with the Avian regime, were imprisoned and judged by military courts. (for more see, 12 Carthages History
The federation is composed of 12 tribal states:
- . Capricornia – state of the Capricornian Tribe
- . Aquaria – state of the Aquarian Tribe
- . Pisconia – state of the Piscenese Tribe
- . Ariana – state of the Arienese tribe
- . Tauria – state of the Taurian tribe
- . Geminum – state of the Geminese tribe
- . Cancerum – state of the Cancerese tribe
- . Leonia – state of the Leonese tribe
- . Virginia – state of the Virginese tribe
- . Librana – state of the Libranese tribe
- . Scorpionia – state of the Scorpionese tribe
- . Sagittaria – state of the Sagittarian tribe
12 Carthages is located in the central part of Polarverta continent. The relief is mountain like in the eastern part by the Polarvertan Range Mountains. It has sea acces in the northern part to the Aukarian Channell, in the west to the Tranquility Ocean, and in the south to Largent Gulf It shares borders with Hanzestadt die Hage in the north, Largent in the south-west,Florenzia in the south, Novum Atlantica in the easth, and Krensonia in the north-easth.
The inhabitants of the 12 Carthages are all decedents of the Roman citizens that inhabited the Wikipedia:Exarchate of Africa. The ethnic groups are thus the same of the people that lived in the former Exarchate. Until 1975, the land was also inhabited by the Avian Race, which politically dominated the region (see: Tseutse Empire). The Doom Flu pandemic, a biologic engineered virus, caused the total extinction of the Avians in the 1975 Avian Genocide.
64% of the Population declare themselves as Romans, although there must be maid a distinctions between Romanos, the Latin speakers, and Romeos the Greek speakers. The Greek language of the Romeos is also reffered by its speakers as the Romaic language The Poeni (32%, are considered to be the descendants of the Phoenicians that colonized African Carthage in the 1st millennium BC. They speak a Semitic dialect of the Punic Language. A small minority is comprised by the Jewish community, whose ancestors also fled the Exarchate during the Exodus. 3 % of the total population is formed of various groups from Wysteria which immigrated during time in the 12 Carthages
The Official Language is Classic Latin, although currently is a dead language, the official acts are still published in this tongue, and the study of it is compulsory in schools. The main spoken language is Punic Latin, by 55% of the population. Punic Latin is a Romance Language Family member, which evolved from Latin. It is similar to Sardinian in pronunciation and similar with Spanish in grammar. Other languages are Punic Phoenician, a Semitic language, spoken by 32% of the population, and Greek (Koine dialect) by 11%.
The official religion is Pelagianism, a Christian confession, founded by Saint wikipedia:Pelagius in the 6 ct AD. Mardonius Soter, the leader and founder of the 12 Carthages, is considered to be a Prophet of Pelagianism. More than 60% pf the population are followers of Pelagiansim. Next to Pelagianism, 20 % of the population still follow the Catholic faith, while 10 % are wikipedia:Donatist Christians. A wikipedia:Manichean minority of 2% has still survived in the 12 Carthages, as well as a small Jewish community that makes up 1 % of the total population.
There are 3 social classes:
- The Senatorial Order – citizens that have a census of more than 1 million Argents; its members bare the nobiliary title of clarissimi
- The Equestrian Order – citizens that have a census of more than 100 000 Argents;its members bare the nobiliary title of perfectissimi
- The Humiliores ( or the rest of The People) – less than 100 000 Argents
There are no discriminations between the social orders, except for the fact that only the first two orders may elect the members of The Senate.
The executive body
- The College of the 3 Consuls (Collegium trium consulum)
- Holds the executive power
- 3 members, each elected in a different way:
- The Great Consul – elected by the People once at 4 years by universal-capacitary suffrage
- Consul tribuni – elected by the Tribunate, from one of its members
- Consul senati – elected by the Senate from one of its members
- The Great Consul has the nominal authority of the institution, and takes the major decisions of the state, but he is assisted by the other colleagues. In theory the other consuls have only consultative role, but they can’t be easily ignored, as they are the voice of the legislative bodies that elected them.
- The consuls preside over the Council of the Quaestors in the internal affairs and over the Quorum of the 12 in the external affairs
- The consuls respond for their actions in front of the Comitia, and they may receive vote of blame from it
- Together with the Council of Quaestors they may draft proposals to be voted by the Comitia to become laws
- The Council of Quaestors
- Its number of members may vary
- The members are appointed by the Great Consul, immediately after the consular elections.
- Each quaestor is specialized in one internal affair, and runs the affairs of a state-secretary
- They all follow the decisions taken in the Council’s daily briefings
- They respond for their actions in front the Comitia ( the parliament)
- The Quorum of the 12
- 12 elected members (proconsuls) by universal capacitary suffrage, from the former magistrates, being them either ex-consuls, ex-quastors, or ex-tribuns
- each member is elected by one tribe; they conduct the foreign affairs, together with the 3 consuls. Their external treaty proposals must be ratified by the Comitia. The Quorum appoints the ambassadors
The legislative body
The Comitia (The Parliament) it’s a bicameral body, following the principle of the SPQR (SENATUS POPULUSQUE ROMANUS - The Senate and the Roman People), which means the sharing of power between the aristocracy – the optimates (represented by the Senate) and the People – the humiliores (represented by the Tribunate).
- each Assembly elects a president (princeps), which conducts the meetings of the Assemblies
- has the right to question the consuls and the quaestors for their actions and conducts
- may dismiss the office of the Consuls and hold new consular elections
- debates and ratifies the proposals of the Quorum of 12, concerning the external affaires
- the meetings of the Comitia are open for the public to see
- if the Comitia is unable to function, than it auto dissolves itself and new parliamentary elections are hold
- . The Senate ( Senatus) –
- the number of members may vary
- two categories of members:
- members by right – members appointed by the Great Censor, from the top of the senatorial order (people with a census over 1 million Argents); former consuls, quaestors and proconsuls, also receive a permanent seat in the Senate
- elected members – members elected by the equestrian order ( people with a census over 100 000 Argents), once at 4 years
- Proposes, debates and votes laws. They need the approval of the other Assembly in order for a law to be ratified. Thus each Assembly has a veto power over each other
- they are not remunerated for their function
- they elect the consul of the Senate
- it is presided by the princeps Senati
- The Tribunate (formerly known as The Comitia of the Tribes – Comitia tributa)
- 900 elected members by the People (the tribunes), representing the 12 tribes of Carthage, in direct proportion with the number of populace of each tribe, by universal capacity suffrage, once at 4 years
- Proposes, debates and votes laws. They need the approval of the other Assembly in order to be ratified. Thus each Assembly has a veto power over each other
- elects the consul of the Tribunate
- the tribunes receive wages for their function
- it is presided by the princeps tribunus
- The Great Censor
- appointed by the Tribunate once at 5 years, for 3 months only
- he decides the names of the non elected members of the Senate
The judiciary body
The Federal Court of Praetors ( Praetorium)
- 24 members ( 2 for each tribe)12 elected by the Tribunate, 12 elected by the Senate, per life
- has the judiciary power in the state, and serves as a supreme appeal court of justice
- it also serves as a constitutional court, and decides over the legality or illegality of the laws of the Comitia, or the affairs of the executive
- it judges over the cases of state corruption
The military body
The Federal Defense Council
- composed of 24 members, appointed between the generals of The Federal Army, by the Comitia
- They elect from their members a Magister Militum Faederationis, who presides over the body. He must be confirmed by the Comitia and by the Consuls in office
- in case of major external crisis, the Magister Militum may be declared Dictator by the Comitia, for minimum 6 months, and takes control of the Executive
- The Dictator, still answers during his function, in the face of the Comitia
The 16 Carthages
The 16 Colonies of the 12 Carthages, or "Terra Transalpina", are considered to be a dependency, and occupies an extra map space. The 16 provinces, each belonging to a different tribal state, are in fact enclaves, and are fully integrated in the Carthaginian Federation, as any other provincial territorial unit.
After the conquest of the 12 Carthages by the Tseutse Empire, refugees fled the land, in what it is called the 2nd Exodus, to the region west of the Central Polarvertan Mountains. Here they created a replica of the fallen Federation and its institutions. Their government, proclaimed itself, as a Government-in-Exile . After the end of the Tseutse domination, the Government-in-Exile of the 16 Colonies, took over the power in the 12 Carthages, and was recognized as it rightful and legitimate government. The 16 Colonies, where thus integrated in the tribal-states of the Mother-land, and are now part of the Federation of the 12 Carthages.
The 16 "Carthages"
Each province (considered to be a "Carthage"*) is integrated in one of the 12 tribal states, as shown bellow:
Cirta 2 (Secunda) – Cancerum ( it also serves as the general capital of Transalpina) Theodosia – Virginia Fontana Luporum - Sagittaria Appolonia – Virginia Ponticapaeum – Ariana Capripratum – Capriconia Sancta Maria – Scorpionia Thabora – Aquaria Sanctus Mardonius – Scorpionia Sanctus Menas – Geminum Carthago ad Muthulem – Tauria Thapsus 3 – Pisconia Tunes – Leonia Civitas Felix – Librana Mediccera – Ariana Verona – Virginia
Special regional institutions
In order to ensure unity and cohesion between the 16 colonies, certain regional institutions have been created:
The Proconsul for the 16 Colonies
It is appointed by the Quorum of 12, for a maximum period of 4 years, and it serves as a representative for the Great Consul of the 12 Carthages, in the executive affairs He was limited authority, and all his actions must be taken in consultation with the Great Consul.
Magister Militum of the 16 Colonies
He has supreme command over the Carthaginian Army stationed in the Transalpina. He is subordinated to the Magister Militum Foederationis, located in 12 Carhages.
Flag for the 16 Carthages
Federation of the 12 Carthages has joined the Wysterian Union on 3rd March 2007, becoming its 14th member state. Its membership is currently replaced by the Confederacy of Polarverta.
The Carthaginian Union is an economic and cultural Commonwealth, similar in its goals and institutions to the WU, established between the 12 Carthages and The Republic of Carthago XIII,former Carthaginian Colony, with the purpose to maintain the economic and cultural relations that were established between them, prior to the proclamation of independence of Carthago XIII from the 12 Carthages.
12 Carthages | Carthago XIII
Confederacy of Polarverta
12 Carthages is the Founder Member of the Confederacy of Polarverta, which replaced its sovereignty in the defense and foreign affairs.